1 Memorizing Scripture will help me be prosperous and fruitful. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth but meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8. And on his law he meditates day and night…whatever he does prospers. Psalm 1:3. Sin leads us to fruitlessness and failure. God’s word within leads to spiritual prosperity and fruitfulness.
2. Memorizing Scripture will help me parent [and grandparent] better. These commands that I give you today are to be on your heart. Deuteronomy 6;6 God says the way to love him and influence our children is for us to have the words on our heart. Notice, not just in our head, but they are to be on our heart. And when they are on our hearts then we can impress them on our children (v.7).
3. Memorizing Scripture can bring salvation to my children [or grandchildren]. And how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures which are able to make you wise to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 3:15 One factor in Timothy coming to salvation was that he was saturated in the Scriptures even from young childhood. It is never too early to start memorizing! Nor is it ever too late.
4. Memorizing Scripture will help me wield the sword of the Spirit against the devil.. Take … the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:17. In our fight against demonic forces, the devil must yield to our speaking the word of God. It is our offensive weapon against the devil. We need it on the tip of our tongue.
5. Memorizing Scripture teaches me to think like God and the biblical writers. All day long the media is giving us words and thought patterns to interpret our world. While some of these concepts are neutral, many are not. By putting God’s words and thought patterns into our minds, we are literally, thinking God’s thoughts after him.
6. Memorizing Scripture helps me when I am afflicted. It was good for me to be afflicted that I might learn your decrees. Psalm 119:71 When we are afflicted and in trouble, God’s word strengthen us. Those Scriptures that we memorize in the midst of that trial drill deep into our souls and can strengthen us when we need them.
7. Memorizing Scripture makes us wiser than those who don’t know his word. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies for it is ever with me. Psalm 119:97-98 ESV God’s word gives us wisdom to live in this world. When we meditate on it and memorize it, it is always with us. It molds and shapes our minds for wisdom.
8. Memorizing Scripture helps me know God better. But the most important reason to get God’s words and thoughts in me is so that I can know him better.