USA Today highlights dropping attendance at some youth events. As I read this, pertinent comments are:
- Sweet 16 is not a sweet spot for churches. It’s the age teens typically drop out.
- Teens say, “We don’t see the church as relevant, as meeting our needs or where we need to be today.
- Kids are overcommitted.
- Parents are not communicating a ‘church is important’ culture.
- I cannot compete with my students’ culture in the area of entertainment.
- I can offer students the real gospel of Jesus Christ and they can handle it.
- Growth happens not by entertaining but by equipping.
I love the comments but again conspicuously absent is the mention of calling parents to their role to disciple their children! Oh well, good observation for us as parents!